Recipe: Basic Drop Cookies (with Variations)
This recipe is from a vintage pamphlet for Robin Hood flour. This booklet was used a lot in our home. My mom (KC's grandma) used this particular recipe often to make cookies for our school lunches.
Basic Drop Cookies (Yield: approx. 6 dozen)
1 1/3 cups shortening (you can use margarine)
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs, well beaten
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
Cream shortening, adding sugar gradually. Add eggs and beat well.
Measure flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and stir thoroughly to mix.
Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Add vanilla.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 1 inch apart onto greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
To 1/6 basic recipe add:
1) 1/3 cup butterscotch or chocolate bits.
2) 1 oz of melted unsweetened chocolate. Top baked cookies with chocolate icing. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if desired.
3) 1/2 cup chopped dates and 1/4 cup chopped nuts
4) 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats, 1/4 cup molasses, 2 tbsp melted butter and 1 tsp grated orange rind. Spread mixture in greased 8 inch square pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until done. Top with Orange icing. Cut in squares.
5) 1/2 cup raisins
6) 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into crushed cornflakes. Toss lightly to coat; form into balls. Top each with 1/2 maraschino cherry. Bake as directed above.